Home Contact Advertise
Roza Cafe
Friday, 25 April, 2014, 7:15 ( 5:15 GMT )
Press Releases
Technology
Science
Book Reviews
Editorial/OP-ED



About Us

Radio Zone
Place your advert on The Tripoli Post - A3 space
Libyan Government Says Lockerbie is Case Closed
02/03/2013 10:19:00
Senior officials from the justice department in Libya are reported to have declared the Lockerbie bombing matter as case closed that it is “over” and “something of the past”.

British police had been due to reopen inquiries in Libya into the bomb on Pan Am flight 103 over Scotland in 1988 that killed 270 people. The American government was also said to be interested in looking again, but the Libyan government said it is a closed case and it wants to move forward.

The Libyan deputy justice minister Hameda al-Magery has been reported telling the British daily, the Telegraph: “Britain and America are asking us to reopen this file. But this is something of the past. This is over.

“We want to move forward to build a new future and not to look back at Gaddafi's black history. This case was closed and both UK and US governments agreed to this. They had their compensation.”

Libya's Justice Minister Salah al-Marghani, reportedly said the matter had been “settled with the Gaddafi regime”. The families of the Lockerbie victims received £1.43bn in compensation from the Libyan government in 2003.

“I am trying to work on the current situation rather than dig into the past,” he said.

Only one person has ever been convicted - Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, who was jailed in 2001. He was released from prison by the Scottish government in 2009 on compassionate grounds after he was diagnosed with cancer. He always protested his innocence. He died last year.
Comment:
The FBI uses polygraphs to eliminate suspects... http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/337485161
 

Equasitrian News
More Featured Articles
Libya Head of GNC Investigated for Possible Major Scandal Involving Two Women
Libyan General Attorney office is investigating an incident, captured on video and circulated on Facebook, in which the president of the General National Congress, Nouri Abu Sahmain was grilled by a questioner about why two women visited his residence at night.

The Official Story of an Oil Tanker Escape
After threatening to bomb a North Korean-flagged tanker if it tried to ship oil from the Libyan Es Sider oil terminal, the government of Ali Zeidan and the National Congress set back and watched it sail to sunset with deep disappoint on the part of the Libyan people.

Libya Crisis: Showdown Continues as Negotiations for Peaceful Outcome Start
The five-hour ultimatum has come its end and unofficial sources say negotiations are now ongoing between the two armed groups that issued the ultimatum earlier this day and unspecified mediators.

Place your advert here
 

© 2014 - The Tripoli Post