Home Contact Advertise
Friday, 26 August, 2016, 2:39 ( 0:39 GMT )
Press Releases
Technology
Science
Book Reviews
Editorial/OP-ED



About Us

Radio Zone
Place your advert on The Tripoli Post - A3 space
Car of Egyptian Diplomat Blown Up in Benghazi, Nobody Hurt
21/08/2012 11:45:00
Just a day after deadly bomb attacks in the capital Tripoli killed two people, and on the day that a group of supporters of deposed leader Muammar Gaddafi confessed to the criminal acts after being arrested, were arrested, in Benghazi on Monday, a car belonging to an Egyptian diplomat was blown up near his home in the eastern Libyan city Benghazi.

The homemade device, most probably similar to the ones that exploded on Sunday in Tripoli, exploded under the vehicle of the Egyptian consulate's first secretary Abdelhamid Rifai. Security sources said that no one was hurt.

These attacks have taken place days ahead of the first anniversary of the capture of Tripoli by revolutionaries during last year's conflict that eventually ousted from power after more than four decades dictator Muammar Gaddafi.

On Sunday, in the first fatal attacks of their kind since Gaddafi's overthrow, three car bombs exploded near interior ministry and security buildings in the Libyan capital on Sunday, killing two people and wounding three others.

Libyan security officials said have arrested 32 members of an organised network of Gaddafi loyalists linked to the attacks and later, the Deputy Interior Minister, Mr. Omar al-Khadrawi revealed that the main suspect in a cell of five has confessed to his involvement in Sunday's blasts.

The same als said that he was assisted in the criminal act by four other individuals. Three of these are currently under arrest, while the the fourth is being hunted down.

Libya has been hit by persistent instability since the overthrow of Gaddafi and the authorities are blaming Gaddafi loyalists inside Libya and financed by others from abroad of trying to destabilise the country.
 

Place your advert here
More Featured Articles
Kobler: Support for UN-backed Tripoli Government is Crumbling
Martin Kobler, UN Libya Envoy, states the obvious and says that support to the so-called Government of National Accord, which he helped imposing and forcing on the Libyan people, is crumbling.

30,000 Soldiers are Under Arms in the Libyan Army, Spokesman
The number of officers and soldiers who currently under arms in the Libyan armed forces have reached over 30,000, willing to protect the national resources, says the spokesman of the High Command.

Italy Appoints New Ambassador to Libya
The government of Prime Minister Matteo Renzi nominated Giuseppe Perrone to head the Italian embassy in Tripoli, saying embassy in Tripoli will open as soon as security situation improves.


Place your advert here
 

© 2016 - The Tripoli Post