Home Contact Advertise
Tuesday, 13 October, 2015, 21:24 ( 19:24 GMT )
Press Releases
Book Reviews

About Us

Radio Zone
Place your advert on The Tripoli Post - A3 space
Libyan Army General Escapes Assassination Attempt in Benghazi
30/07/2012 18:58:00
Reports from Libya's eastern city of Benghazi indicate that the commander of Libyan ground forces, General Khalifa Hafter was lucky to escape unhurt in an assassination attempt on Sunday.

Gen. Hafter, who has been assigned by the interim government to form a national army, was travelling in a convoy that came under fire from unknown gunmen close to the country's second largest city, Benghazi

The attack came less than 24 hours after Col. Suleiman Buzraidah Benghazi was killed while on his way to a mosque in Benghazi. Buzraidah is a former military intelligence chief in the Gaddafi regime, who joined the rebels that eventually ousted the former Libyan dictator during last year's conflict.

It is uncertain whether there are any connections between the attack on General Hafter and the killing of Buzraidah in a region of that has witnessed a surge in assassination attempts against former military and security officials.

Abdel-Basit Haroun, a Benghazi militia commander, was reported saying that over the past month alone 13 people who had been close to the former regime have been killed

Also in Benghazi, a bomb placed in the basement of the city's most popular hotel with the government authorities and foreign business community, the Tibesti, was defused before it could explode.

More Featured Articles
ANALYSIS: UN Envoy Says Libyan Rivals Reach ‘Consensus’ but Amendments could Jeopardize Process
UN envoy to Libya said Sunday that rival parties have reached ‘consensus’ on the main elements of an agreement. But Tripoli faction’s insistence on backtracking on an agreement initialed on 12 July will further erode trust in Bernardino Leon as peace broker and jeopardize the whole process.

Libya Says EU Needs to Cooperate with Legitimate Authorities on Illegal Immigration
While rejecting European military intervention, the legitimate government of Libya has made it clear that it is always willing to cooperate with the EU on combating illegal immigration provided that the EU consulted with it on various issues.

IS in Libya Beheads 21 Egyptians
In a Hollywood cinematography style video, shot from several angles on a beach, 21 Egyptians were beheaded by IS group in Libya. They were marched by militants in black to a beach the group said was near Tripoli, then they were forced down onto their knees.

Place your advert here

© 2015 - The Tripoli Post