Home Contact Advertise
Roza Cafe
Friday, 21 November, 2014, 22:21 ( 20:21 GMT )
Press Releases
Technology
Science
Book Reviews
Editorial/OP-ED



About Us

Radio Zone
Place your advert on The Tripoli Post - A3 space
Libyan Government Sends Troops to Quell Fighting in West of Country,
17/06/2012 14:47:00
Following days of clashes between rival militias that have left at least 16 people dead since Monday, Libya's interim government has called for an end to the violence, deployed troops in the west of the country, particularly in the mountainous towns of Zintan, Mizdah and Shegayga, and declared the area, which is some 150 kilometres from the capital, Tripoli, as a "military zone".

The violence, mainly between fighters from Zintan, backed by another tribe known as the Guntrara from the city of Mizdah, and armed members of the Mashashya tribe based in the town of Shegayga is of concern to the authorities as it comes just weeks before Libya is due to hold the first free elections for a national assembly for over four decades.

In a statement, besides calling for an immediate ceasefire by all parties and the provision of humanitarian aid, officials said the army had been authorised to use all necessary force to protect civilians in the mountainous area.

The ruling National Transitional Council (NTC), which took power last year, has been struggling to maintain security and stability in a country awash with weapons left over from the conflict last year.

The army's Col Hamed Zwei has been reported telling Reuters: "The army is going there now to impose a ceasefire and protect civilians,"

The latest clash was reportedly triggered by the death of a man from Zintan after he was stopped at a checkpoint, which Zintan militias have blamed on the Mashashya tribe.

Besides those killed, at least 89 others have been wounded.
 

Equasitrian News
More Featured Articles
Libya: Etheni Government Denies It Transferred Authority to Maateeq Cabinet
The interim government of Mr. Abdullah Etheni has categorically denied that it in a way transferred any of its authorities to the controversial cabinet of Ahmed Maiteeq.

PM Etheni: Benghazi is First Line of Defense for Libya
"Benghazi is the first line of defense for Libya. If Benghazi falls, God forbid, all other Libyan cities would crumble down," says interim Prime Minister Abdullah al-Theni during a press conference in the city.

Libya Head of GNC Investigated for Possible Major Scandal Involving Two Women
Libyan General Attorney office is investigating an incident, captured on video and circulated on Facebook, in which the president of the General National Congress, Nouri Abu Sahmain was grilled by a questioner about why two women visited his residence at night.

Place your advert here
 

© 2014 - The Tripoli Post