Home Contact Advertise
Monday, 24 October, 2016, 4:31 ( 2:31 GMT )
Press Releases
Book Reviews

About Us

Radio Zone
Place your advert on The Tripoli Post - A3 space
Forces Holding Seif Delay His Transfer to NTC
29/05/2012 09:59:00
The forces holding former dictator's son, seif Gaddafi, who also participated in the killing of Libyans during last year's uprising have delayed his transfer to Tripoli, saying they did not get their salaries as promised, the representative of Libya to the International Criminal Court, ICC, has said.

Ahmed al-Jehani, said that the failure of the National Transitional Council to fulfil its promise to pay the salaries of the thuwar [revolutionaries] of Zintan for six months' work, for an amount of not more than $1.36m, led them to cancel Seif al-Islam's transfer to a prison in Tripoli.

While denying that this money represented some kind of compensation for the transfer of Seif, Jehani said it was a normal demand. It is just the salary of the thuwar for their work in recent months.

Jehani told AFP: "Initially the NTC said they were ready to pay this sum. But when the time came, they failed to meet their commitments.

Seif, has been in custody in the town of Zintan 180km southwest of Tripoli since his arrest last November 19, in the wake of the uprising that ousted his father Muammar from power after more than four decades ruling the country.

Seif is also wanted by the ICC for crimes against humanity committed in trying to put down last year's bloody revolt, but Libya has been reluctant to surrender him, or his late father's spymaster, Abdullah Senussi, to the ICC to face justice at hands of the Hague-based ICC.

Jehani went on to say that Seif continues to refuse legal counsel. "When Seif al-Islam receives foreign guests he says he wants to be defended by a lawyer in front of a Libyan tribunal. But when a Libyan asks him, he rejects the trial process or the appointment of a lawyer," Jehani added.

The ICC appointed attorney Xavier-Jean Keita to defend Seif but the lawyer has yet to meet his potential client. So far he has refused that a lawyer be appointed for his defence Jehani said, adding that the solution is his and his alone.

On the other hand, Keita has been saying that despite several requests to meet his client, the Libyan authorities so far had not cooperated.

Place your advert here
More Featured Articles
Army Brigade Vows to Fight New Italian Colonialism in Libya
Italy could soon find itself entangled in another anti-colonial war on its doorsteps in its neighboring Libya which will cost it dearly in lives and definitely jeopardize its economic, political and cultural interests in this North African country for the foreseeable future.

Italians Provide Weapons to ISIS in Exchange for Libyan Looted Art, Report
Italian mob is on good business relations with ISIS in Libya providing weapons to terrorists in exchange for Libyan looted artifacts that go back to the Roman and Greek eras, thanks to NATO’s disastrous continuing intervention in the country.

Airport in Tripoli Denies an Airplane Had Trouble Landing in Libya
A Maatiqa airport in Tripoli, Libya denied that an airplane had difficulty landing at the airport on Tuesday saying it was on a training mission, according to Alwasat web site.

Place your advert here

© 2016 - The Tripoli Post