Home Contact Advertise
Roza Cafe
Thursday, 30 October, 2014, 15:39 ( 13:39 GMT )
Press Releases
Technology
Science
Book Reviews
Editorial/OP-ED



About Us

Radio Zone
Place your advert on The Tripoli Post - A3 space
NATO Defence Ministers Stress Continued Commitment to Libya Operation
08/06/2011 17:54:00
NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen addressed the alliance partners' defence ministers

At a meeting at NATO's Brussels headquarters on Wednesday for defence ministers of the partner countries that are contributing to Operation Unified Protector in Libya, the organisation's general secretary, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, intends to use the two-day meeting to push for broader participation in Libya by other organisation members.

NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen concluded that “everyone at the table agreed: we have made clear progress. We have prevented a massacre, we  have preserved innocent lives, and we have prepared the ground for a political  settlement”.

Earlier in the week, directing his comments at all the 28 members of the alliance Rasmussen had said: "Obviously some of those allies and partners carrying the heavy burden start to ask whether it would be possible to broaden the participation a bit.

"That is also the essence of our alliance: that allies that actually have the necessary assets at their disposal, also contribute those assets, based on the principle of solidarity."

At the meeting, all Ministers endorsed the decision to extend the operation for another 90 days, from the end of June. This, it was said, sends a clear signal that NATO will stay the course and will keep up the pressure for as long as it takes to bring this crisis to an early conclusion.

The NATO defence ministers strongly reaffirmed the goals laid out by Foreign Ministers in Berlin on April14, that the Libyan regime must cease attacks on civilians; verifiably withdraw all its forces to bases; and allow immediate, full, safe and unhindered humanitarian access.

Homepage
Newsroom
News

08 Jun. 2011
NATO and partners will stay the course on Libya

Today, NATO Defence Ministers met with the Defence Ministers of the partner countries that are contributing to Operation Unified Protector to protect civilians in Libya.

NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen concluded that “everyone at the table agreed: we have made clear progress. We have prevented a massacre, we have preserved innocent lives, and we have prepared the ground for a political settlement”.

In the meeting, all Ministers endorsed the decision to extend the operation for another 90 days, from the end of June. This sends a clear signal that NATO will stay the course and will keep up the pressure for as long as it takes to bring this crisis to an early conclusion. They strongly reaffirmed the goals laid out by Foreign Ministers in Berlin on 14 April that the Libyan regime must cease attacks on civilians; verifiably withdraw all its forces to bases; and allow immediate, full, safe and unhindered humanitarian access.

Secondly, they stressed their continuing commitment to the operation, including by providing the necessary capabilities to continue, and conclude, the operation.

Thirdly, Ministers agreed that the time has come to plan for the day after the conflict. They encouraged other key organisations, including the United Nations, the European Union, the League of Arab States, the African Union, to start planning for their efforts for an immediate and longer term post-conflict period.

“NATO stands ready to play a role, if requested and if necessary, in support of post-conflict efforts that should be initiated by the United Nations and the Contact Group on Libya”, the Secretary General said.

Mr Rasmussen also stressed that NATO does not envisage a leading role for the Alliance in a post-conflict Libya.

One of the alliance's most powerful members, Germany, is refusing to take part in the mission and that looked unlikely to change a the meeting, with Christian Schmidt, the country's secretary of state
saying: “We will not change our position concerning the military action. We will not participate.'

Sweden's government is reported by Al Jazeera announcing that it has reached a deal with opposition parties to extend the mission of Swedish jets taking part in Libya reconnaissance missions by three months when it expires on June 22.

Under the plan, five of the eight Swedish jets currently taking part in the operation will continue to carry out reconnaissance missions over Libya.

Meanwhile, Spain has officially recognised Libya's rebel National Transitional Council as the country's legitimate representative, Trinidad Jimenez, the Spanish foreign minister said during a visit to rebel-held eastern Libyan city of Benghazi.

"I'm here today to confirm that the National Transitional Council is the only legitimate representative of the Libyan people," Jimenez told reporters in Brussels.

Liam Fox, the UK defence secretary, said the United Kingdom has been very forward-leading, very clear that it wants to see the Libyan people safe from the excesses of the Al Qathafi regime, therefore he wanted to see "increased urgency in some quarters" for the Libya campaign.

NATO jets continued to pound the Libyan capital, Tripoli, in daylight raids on Wednesday. Ten explosions shook Tripoli, with Wing Commander Mike Bracken at NATO's Libya operations headquarters in Naples, Italy, telling the Associated Press that there had been "increased tempo over recent days over Tripoli" but pointed out, that "Al Qathafi as an individual has not been a target and won't be a target".

NATO is not publicly releasing figures on how many nations are involved in the strikes on Libya, but it is thought to be about 17, with only eight, led by Britain and France, conducting air raids.

Meanwhile, Sky News has reported that at least 12 Libyan rebels have been killed in Misurata after thousands of the regime's troops advanced on the city and attacked it from three sides.

Quoting rebel spokesman Hassan al-Misrati, who spoke to the network from inside the city, he said that shelling was taking place from the east, west and south. He added: “They (Al Qathafi's forces) were trying to enter the city. “They are still outside, though," he added.

There was no immediate comment from Libyan government quarters.
Comment:
NATO MUST BE DESTROYED THERE MUST BE A WAY TO TOTALLY DESTROY AND KILL NATO THEY NO LONGER HAVE THE RIGTH TO EXIST. THEY ARE CRIMINAL AND MURDEROUS AND THE FAIL JUST LIKE THE WEST TO SEE THE SERIOUS IMPLICATIONS THIS WOULD CAUSE IF THEY CONTINUE TO DESTROY LIBYA. THE GREAT BROTHER LEADER IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE RIGHT WHERE SHOULD BE IN LIBYA STAYING IN POSITION. NATO ARE POISOINOUS AND TOXIC AND SO ARE THE LEADERS OF THE WESTERN WORLD INCLUDING THAT ANGELA MERKEL.
Comment:
NATO, THE REBELS AND THE OPPOSITIONS AND THE WEST CONTINUE TO BE LIARS. THE LOYALSIT ARMY ARE NOT THE ONES KILLING CIVILIANS IT IS THEY THE REBELS, THE OPPOSTION, NATO AND THE WEST WHO ARE DOING IT. ALSO THEY ARE LIARS TO SAY THAT THE GREAT BROTHER LEADER IS NOT THE TARGET WHAT LIES DO THE WEST CONTINUE TO COME OUT WITH NEXT. SAVAGE BASTARDS,PLEASE FORGIVE THE CHOICE OF WORDS BUT THAT IS THE MOST APT DESCRIPTIONS CAN FIND RIGHT NOW. THEY FAIL TO SEE WHAT CRIMINALS. GENOCIDAL MURDERERS THEY ARE AND THEY WILL ALWAYS FAIL TO SEE THAT. O HATE BEING A WESTERNER BECAUSE OF THIS THEIR FOREGN POLICY MAKES ME SICK EVERY SINGLE TIME.
Comment:
Nato in Libya is not protecting civilians , but increasing civilians casualties by throwing more bombs. For every war there is political goal, and Nato goal here to change the Libyan regime and install a favourite regime,which completely illegal and Nato has no mandate, therefore Nato bombing Libya destroying the country infrastructure is a real aggression not only against Libya but against the whole arab nation and freedom loving people of the world.
 

Equasitrian News
More Featured Articles
Libya: Etheni Government Denies It Transferred Authority to Maateeq Cabinet
The interim government of Mr. Abdullah Etheni has categorically denied that it in a way transferred any of its authorities to the controversial cabinet of Ahmed Maiteeq.

PM Etheni: Benghazi is First Line of Defense for Libya
"Benghazi is the first line of defense for Libya. If Benghazi falls, God forbid, all other Libyan cities would crumble down," says interim Prime Minister Abdullah al-Theni during a press conference in the city.

Libya Head of GNC Investigated for Possible Major Scandal Involving Two Women
Libyan General Attorney office is investigating an incident, captured on video and circulated on Facebook, in which the president of the General National Congress, Nouri Abu Sahmain was grilled by a questioner about why two women visited his residence at night.

Place your advert here
 

© 2014 - The Tripoli Post