Home Contact Advertise
Roza Cafe
Thursday, 2 October, 2014, 7:21 ( 5:21 GMT )
Press Releases
Technology
Science
Book Reviews
Editorial/OP-ED



About Us

Radio Zone
Place your advert on The Tripoli Post - A3 space
Early Morning Strikes Hit Al Qathafi Compound Hours After Quashing Rumours About His Health
12/05/2011 10:22:00
Libyan leader Muammar Al Qathafi (left) meeting tribal leaders on Wednesday

Early Thursday morning NATO once again conducted a barrage of airstrikes on the Libyan capital, Tripoli, with Libyan government officials said targeted the Libyan leader Muammar Al Qathafiís compound in the Bab al-Azziziyah area. The strikes also shook the windows of a hotel where journalists are staying in the capital.

There have been unconfirmed reports of casualties, including somebody close to the Al Qathafi family. However, this could not be verified, not even by personnel at the nearby Khadra Hospital, where medics were witnessed wheeling in two men they said were killed in the shelling.

As plumes of white smoke resulting from the blasts filled the skies above the compound and large parts of the capital, emergency vehicle sirens wailed and sporadic gunfire rang out.

Five airstrikes were heard in Tripoli between 5:00 and 6:00 am local time as planes continuously flew overhead. Four more air attacks were heard an hour later in a ten-minute span.

The latest strikes came after Libyan state TV Wednesday night showed footage of Muammar Al Qathafi meeting with tribal leaders at the same hotel that is currently being used to accommodate the international journalists in Tripoli.

The first video of the Libyan leader aired in nearly two weeks appeared to kill speculations created by most foreign journalists about his well-being. There had been plenty of rumours that he might have been been injured, or worse, in the NATO attack.

It was his first appearance on Libyan state television since the April 30 airstrikes that killed his son Seif al-Arab and three grandchildren, and the regime termed "an attempt on his life".

The TV station showed footage of an unharmed Al Qathafi meeting and talking to what were said to have been tribal leaders who were apparently expressing their grief and giving their condolences to the leaderís family that has lost four members of the family in a NATO airstrike.

State TV said the meeting took place Wednesday, and to prove the authenticity of the footage, the cameraman zoomed in on a screen in the background bearing the Wednesday May 11 date.

A Libyan official told journalists the video was shot around 19.30 local time, Wednesday. Al Qathafi was wearing sunglasses and dressed in a black robe and hat with a brown sash, greeting the leaders and then holding talks with them seated in a half circle around him.

Sitting in an armchair near a small round table, and pointing pointed to his visitors, while calling some of them by name, Muammar Al Qathafi said: "We tell the world: 'Those are the representatives of the Libyan tribes.'"

One of the visitors, and elderly man assured him: "You will be victorious."
Comment:
Another evidence that Nato involved in political assassination and never protected Libyan civilians. Libya is an Arab country under continous Nato attack since 19 March, in such case Arab States should break diplomatic and commercial relation with Nato attack contributing countries.
Nato commanders causing civilian casaulities in Libya have to stand trial.
 

Equasitrian News
More Featured Articles
Libya: Etheni Government Denies It Transferred Authority to Maateeq Cabinet
The interim government of Mr. Abdullah Etheni has categorically denied that it in a way transferred any of its authorities to the controversial cabinet of Ahmed Maiteeq.

PM Etheni: Benghazi is First Line of Defense for Libya
"Benghazi is the first line of defense for Libya. If Benghazi falls, God forbid, all other Libyan cities would crumble down," says interim Prime Minister Abdullah al-Theni during a press conference in the city.

Libya Head of GNC Investigated for Possible Major Scandal Involving Two Women
Libyan General Attorney office is investigating an incident, captured on video and circulated on Facebook, in which the president of the General National Congress, Nouri Abu Sahmain was grilled by a questioner about why two women visited his residence at night.

Place your advert here
 

© 2014 - The Tripoli Post